Saturday 22 November 2014

Chosen Portrait - 'The Armada Portrait'


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7b/Elizabeth_I_(Armada_Portrait).jpg/603px-Elizabeth_I_(Armada_Portrait).jpg
The Armada Portrait
Sitter: Queen Elizabeth I of England
by an unknown artist
c.1588
Oil on panel

I have chosen 'The Armada Portrait' as my final chosen portrait because I like how Elizabeth I's hair features frizzy curly hair and I want to use the idea of using frizzy hair on my designs. There are decorations on Elizabeth's head such as peacock feather and pearls to show purity, wisdom and wealth. Elizabeth was around 55 years old when the portrait was painted and at that time, she still look young and beautiful. She has got the white makeup on, heart shaped hairstyle, red lips and cheeks which shows she is fashionable as all the features were the popular in the Elizabethans era.
Elizabeth is dressed beautifully and her gown and dress were elaborately decorated with expensive jewels. The use of black work on her dress also shows wealth and high status because black work are only affordable to the wealthy. The bows on the dress presents Elizabeth's virginity. The egg shaped object on the window sill symbolise abundance, eternal life, fertility, union and generosity. Elizabeth uses a lot of pearls in this portrait to emphases that she is the 'Virgin Queen'. Another reason I like this portrait is because I like the ruff Elizabeth wearing and how it looks very unique.
The way Elizabeth sit in the portrait and her hand is placed on the globe while her fingers are extending to other parts of the countries used to show her power and majesty. The crown on the left is used to show that Elizabeth believes in God and show royalty as well. The left window shows the English is in calm waves, while on the right window, it shows the Spanish are in the thunderstorm. The way Elizabeth facing the left side symbolise she supports English and will fight for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment